Read a book to someone you love.

Thursday, March 1, 2007

Income Tax Forms

I hate to bring up unpleasant subjects, but it might help folks to know that the library has tax forms, both federal and state. We've heard that the post offices no longer carry them. We have the basic forms for the taking, and also have a notebook of less common forms (such as "Income Averaging for Farmers and Fishermen") which can be photocopied. The price for library copies is 15 cents, and our copier does take one dollar bills.

On Tuesdays at the library, the Central Vermont Community Action Council provides volunteer preparers who will e-file your federal and state income tax returns at no charge for any family whose total income for 2006 does not exceed $38,000. Hours of service are from 4-8 p.m. in the Frances Holmes Room on the 1st floor. Ask the staff at the front desk for directions. If you want more information on this great program, call the CVCAC office at 479-1053.

Please don't ask the library staff for help with your income tax. We are highly trained professionals, but income tax preparation was not part of that training! However, we'll be glad to direct you to the forms and publications you need.

By the way, if you'd like to get a better handle on your personal finances in the next year, we're displaying books on that subject near the tax forms. You'll find books like, "The Young Couple's Guide to Growing Rich Together", "Personal Finance for Busy People", and "Personal Finance for Dummies".

No comments: